Garbage Disposal and Repairs Services with Best Plumbing (845)471-3626
Is your garbage disposal making strange noises? It could be time for a replacement.
What are common garbage disposal problems and what are professional solutions?
Be mindful of these common garbage disposal issues:
- Disposal does not turn on. We can determine why this has happened, reset the disposal, check the circuit breaker box or replace the disposal if the motor no longer works.
- Jams. The disposal may become jammed with food or other items. We can clear jams and help customers know what they should not put down their disposals.
- Extra noises. Unit makes extra noises such as whirring and clicking. Once again, the motor may need to be replaced, or we may need to tighten or replace screws, bearings, lugs or blades.
- Leaks. The disposal may leak into the cupboard below it.
- Humming noise. The disposal may only make a humming noise when the switch is flipped. In each of these two scenarios, there may be a clog in the pipe or in the flywheel that we can safely remove.
When should you repair vs. replace your garbage disposal?
More often than not, an improperly functioning garbage disposal will only need a repair, such as a new seal or new bearings. Many problems can be fixed by a simple call to S&D Plumbing; we can send a professional out to clear out clogs and repair jammed blades. In addition, if a problem is repaired as soon as it is first noticed, it may not require more costly repairs in the future.
However, because a garbage disposal is only expected to last between 10 to 12 years, a replacement will eventually be necessary. This is especially true for disposals that are used frequently because their blades will quickly become dull. Another time that a replacement will be necessary is when the motor stops functioning altogether.
What are easy maintenance tips?
First, individuals should never put non-food items down their disposals because these can become stuck on the blades and clog the pipes. Second, the disposal blades can be cleansed by running lemon or other citrus peels through the disposal regularly to create a pleasing aroma.
In addition, only small items should be put through the disposal because larger pieces may become stuck, clogging the drain. Large items, such as whole fruits or vegetables, should be cut into several smaller pieces before putting them down the disposal.
Cooking oil and other greases should never be put down the garbage disposal because they can impede the blades. Lastly, cold water should be running when the garbage disposal is on and should continue to run for 30 seconds after the disposal is turned off to ensure that all food particles have been rinsed through the pipes.
To fix your garbage disposal issues, contact Best Plumbing Heating & Air Inc. at (845)471-3626 or by filling out and submitting the form below:
Poughkeepsie plumber, Wappingers Falls plumber, Lagrange Plumber, Fishkill plumber, Hyde Park plumber, East Fishkill plumber, Beekman plumber, Newburgh plumber, Highland Plumber